Friday, June 28, 2013

Oh My Aching Back!!!

If you have a really bad back then bedside nursing might not be a good career choice for you.  

On the first day of the first Med Surg I clinical I felt my back aching.  And so did a bunch of my classmates.

 By the end of the program I made a promise to myself to go do hot yoga several times per week once some one hires me for a job.  

Back and shoulder injuries are really common!!!  

The person I was going to ask to preceptor me for my second independent study threw her shoulder out and was out for months and months on end.  It was shock to me when I heard it because she is very tall.  Just over 6' and well built.  Very solid.  It happened when she was wheeling a patient.

A young guy I shadowed in the ED told me that he threw his back out while adjusting a gurney for a patient.  Out for months.

My godmother threw her back out when she was walking with a heavy patient that fell.  She was out for months and months.  

One classmate's preceptors threw out her back in the middle of her independent study.  

The taller you are the worse it is.

I won't get into the stories I've heard of injuries where people never ended up coming back to work.  But it happens...


No comments:

Post a Comment