Monday, May 6, 2013

Uniform, Stethoscope, BP Cuff, Penlight

Okay so the uniform.  I got the top from the bookstore.  You will need it.

Make sure you don't wait to the last minute to order your top like I did.  The guy in the bookstore takes orders at the start of the semester and pays one shipping price to have all the uniforms sent in one shot.  So if you order after that, you have to pay an additional shipping fee.

Do not buy the pants.  They are horrible and don't fit right and made out thin material.  I didn't get a pair because I asked someone from the previous class about what to buy and what not to buy.  Some classmates bought it and regretted it.  Get a pair of white scrub pants that have pockets and fit comfortably.

I bought the Downstate patch, but never had it sewn on.  I intend to give it away to a student in the incoming class.  I was the only one who didn't sew mine on.  Some professors won't let you get away with that.  So I recommend getting it and sewing it on.  

I didn't get that blue tote bag with knick knacks either.  The students from the previous class told us not to.  I'm not telling you what to do on this because they ask you to take the items out during preclinical labs.  90% of us didn't have it though.

I bought my BP cuff from the bookstore.  It will run you about $25-$30.  Unless you are in extremely dire straights, I recommend you buy it and practice with it.  If you don't get one you can always use a classmate's for the final exam as you will be doing your final exam in groups of 2 or 3.  You will assess one another. You will need it later for Community. 

Penlight.  I bought the cheapy $3.00 penlight from the bookstore.  It was disposable.  I didn't realize that at the time of purchase.  Honestly I think it's a crime to sell them because it creates so much waste.  The disposable penlight doesn't last very long.  Mine last for 7 months, but I didn't use it that much.  I paid $4.68 for my new penlight.  It is brighter, slightly bigger, and the batteries are replaceable.

I bought a $2 watch from a 99 cent store.  It fell apart fairly quickly and I found myself using my cell phone.  Some professors will not let you get away with that.  I was lucky.  I would recommend spending a little money and get a semi-decent old school watch with second hands that tick.  

Go across the street and buy the $20 stethoscope from the bookstore.  I think I actually paid less than $20 for it.  I curl it up and stick it neatly in the right pocket of my uniform.  

When you get in the hospital you will see nurses using disposable stethoscopes as a lot of patients are on contact precaution.  They are not high quality and a lot of contact precaution patients have serious health issues, so unless you are a cardiologist, it's not that big of a deal to get a cheapy stethoscope.  

5 comments:

  1. Nice information about traffic. I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.

    Thanks for this nice and Helpful post. There is something moderately nice about the "Uniform, Stethoscope, BP Cuff, Penlight". I like the suggestion. I want to share some information about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. I'm glad if it was helpful in anyway. We got little to no help. Little to no information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Article, there are all different qualities of penlights. If you are looking for more information about them and want to check out a comparison guide of the best penlights go here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for clarifying shining directly into the eyes for us. I do want to say that I have been on the receiving end in the hospital of both the light being turned on at 3:00am and a doctor/nurse sneaking in with a flashlight at 3:00am. I much prefer the flashlight method. The disposable flashlights definitely have their place but I also prefer a more well made light and the streamlight stylus is a good one. We have great Flashlights on the market and everybody can find good one easily .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it. best rated veterinary stethoscope

    ReplyDelete